Friday, December 12, 2008

April 5, 2007

The fear runs rampant in my area, knowing we are possibly going to be next...
Now you would think that I was quoting a horror novel or something, but no, it is my work and the rumors that are flying around. Who is going to get laid off, who is going to get bumped, who is going to be moving... me that's who if any of those things happen. I love Michigan but the garbage disposal is running while the city is going down the drain.....
I don't want to move but if necessary I will do it, it doesn't scare me as much as you would think it scares most people, I like moving actually, the only part that gets you stuck for a second is a job, but if you are confident in yourself and your work history, anyone will hire you. So I have no doubt I could find a good job in other states just as much as living in this state and suffering through this economic depression.
So, who do I blame for all of this? Most of the people would like to see me get laid off/fired or take a pay cut as I am a civil servant, somehow they feel I should take the fall for the whole state's continuing blunders. Never mind, I took Banked Leave Time for two years (working 4 hours a pay period without pay). No one wants to have taxes or fees raised either, never mind that SBT (Single Business Tax) is gone at the end of October and nothing has been put into place to replace the revenues it covers in the state budget, almost $2 Billion, yep that's right I said $2 BILLION. Where you gonna cut that from the state government, people? That's right, you cut it all in the last 4 years, so there isn't anything to cut anymore. But no one mentions the one place that could REALLY help this state. It's own Legislature, that's right those wonderous people you and I elect into office.
You know for 6 years of work they get a retirement paid to them for the rest of their lives, and most of them start out at $70,000 a year, yep that's the starting pay of an elected Michigan official and then after a measely 6 years of service (2 terms for most) they get a retirement that comes out of the citizens of Michigan's pocket FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES! I think we should be asking our legislature to be walking hand in hand with its civil servants if we are going to be taking anymore cuts to help save the budget. Let the Legislature be paid part time for part time work and pay into thier own retirement fund, social security, and medicaid, we the average person shouldn't be paying for them just because the got our votes. We voted them in to work for us not bleed us dry....
Ahem....Let me tell you I could get paid my overtime pay at any doctor's office with the benifits I get here too. (I just don't want to work in a doctor's office, too many sick people....yeck!) I work as a civil servant because I actualy think I am helping, I have people who are so greatful for my help everyday, and I get a great feeling out of that, maybe I shouldn't, but I do. Maybe it is wrong that I help uphold the laws that this state put into place, that I ensure people follow those requirements and rules that were set into place, I kinda like order more than chaos, don't get me wrong, that has it's place too, but not in running a state government.
So as the rumors run rampant and the fear rolls around in my stomache and in the stomaches of those around me, I try to remember that I am doing good and if necessary I can always move.
hmph.....................

No comments:

Post a Comment